Thursday, January 25, 2007

Tricks of the Trade

I'll preface this post with a warning that you won't see much work talk here. But, today, I couldn't resist.

Here's the scoop. We have an issue with our software and that of a third party component we rely on. We had asked that that third party do the fix and they had this to say about why they can't do it right now:

"...tied up on a project for a very large international corporation (whom we can’t disclose, but it's the largest software company you can guess)"

Gee, I wonder who that could be?

I learned another trick for dealing with partners. When they want something done now, I just have to say this:

"...this would require a one time expedite fee of $15,000".

I already warned an executive that I might play this card if he tries to slip a project in through the back door. No need to worry, I have a good enough relationship with that individual that I can get away with being cheeky. But, if you see me selling stuff on here, you know I went too far.

No comments: