Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Bueller?

Here.

Well, its been over a month since getting this puppy up and running, so I thought I would get off my duff and write something.

So, each morning, the radio (CBC) wakes me up and I listen to it (actually that is only half true, but that is another story). Today they were talking about how the number of stolen cars has gone down in Vancouver thanks to the bait car program. Wow, great news.

I'm not sure what the specific objective was of the program, but the story left me wondering -- just why are numbers down? Is it because the culprits are being caught and put in jail (so aren't around to steal cars), or because they are afraid to steal cars in which case they have probably moved onto other crimes. After all, most car thieves are drug addicts, and a stolen car isn't the only thing to pay for that next fix. It is sort of like the first law of thermodynamics -- crime can change from one form to another, but it cannot be created nor destroyed. OK, so that is a bit of a stretch, but I think you get my point.

Like most programs, the bait program treats a symptom, but the real problem is dealing with the top reason for stealing cars -- drug addiction.

That is easy for me to say because I don't have to figure those things out for a living.

No comments: