Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Farewell ACD

Well, I’ve joined club layoff for the second time in my life. Yesterday I got the surprising news that I no longer had a job. I was shocked to say the least. The last layoff was 5.5 years ago (PureEdge) and for a number of reasons, made for the most stressful time in my life. Because of that, I was not looking forward to the emotional roller coaster that would be my future for the next few days. But, by 7:00 pm, the migraine I thought I would get ended up being a bad headache that was cured with a few Advil, my spirits were up, and I was book marking jobs I wanted to apply for. I even turned down the sleeping pills my mom gave me.

My severance package was generous this time round, though the government took nearly %45 of it. I’m also entitled to a bit more as my vacation time jumped up a week after reaching 5 years of employment at ACD. Finally, I was offered a month contract to wrap up the projects I was working on. I’ll need to think about whether I accept the contract and whether I want to negotiate some of the terms. I’d hate to dump all that work on Janet, but at the same time, I don’t want it to get in the way of looking for another job.

After getting the news and the package, I had some time to collect my thoughts before meeting with an employment counsellor who specializes in getting people back on their feet after a layoff. She was great and I have a meeting with her on Wednesday. I’m going to have her look at the CV and cover letters I want to submit for the jobs I want to apply for. Fortunately, both are up to date as I have been looking for a new job off and on for the past 2 months. That also means I was already disengaged from ACD.

I describe the layoff as a shock, but not heartbreaking. While I was hoping to be the dumper not the dumpee, at least this way I get a chunk of change out of it.

Overall, I think my first day went really well and if I can keep up the momentum, I’ll be working in no time.

I’ve begun organizing a traditional trip to a local pub were survivors and those laid off can say good-byes and mingle one last time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Meet for one last time? Fine. I didn't want to see you ever again either. ;-)

Being a fellow layoffee I find the experience a little wierd. I haven't entered panic mode yet. I guess I'm just assuming that getting paniced would be natural. But I think I'll look on the bright side and I think you'll agree with what I'm saying. No more InTouch, myACD or static client links! Or PMP! or NagU! Oh man, I can't stop!

%^P

Mikey2 said...

Bah, work is overrated!
<grin>