Saturday, September 22, 2007

Day 37: This Better Be My Last Sanding!

In just under a week Harbour City Kitchens will be here to measure for my kitchen cabinets. In order for them to be able to take accurate measurements, my walls need to be painted. That meant finishing up the angle in the bulkhead and sanding all afternoon. I also decided to take down my upper so now I get to look at the original and very ugly wallpaper.



The bottom half of my walls were pretty rough since I was planning to put up my beadboard paneling. In case I don’t, I wanted to make sure my walls were smooth all over so another 10 kg’s of mud went up. After a good rigourous sanding the walls look pretty good and the bulkhead just needed a few touchups with mud! A quick sanding later tonight or early tomorrow and I should be able to clean up and prepare for paint. I think that feat in math and carpentry that was the bulkhead angle might be my greatest achievement. It is off by 1/16th - 1/8th of an inch, so I hope they can install that corner cabinet that much away from the long side so it is centered on the angle. If not, it will still look better than no angle at all.

Once the paint is up, I can put my appliances back and start using them again. That means plugging in the stove and stocking up my fridge. The fridge was plugged in this whole time, but I wasn’t stocking it that well. Needless to say, for the last few days I have been eating noodle box or cereal until I ran out of milk. Then it was on to instant oatmeal which I prepared with hot tap water as I couldn’t be bothered to plug in my microwave to boil the water. And Evin gets to eat crunchy food for dinner because the wet food is too much of a hassle to deal with.

I got the coolest gadget for sanding. Actually, it is for the plastic sheeting that goes up while sanding. It is a self adhesive zipper that is intended for tarps. Now I don’t have to crawl in and out of a corner to get out of the kitchen! I didn’t find the zipper at the paint store, but rather at Industrial Plastics and Paint. But I bet Capital Iron would have them in the camping/tarp section.

No comments: