Saturday, September 8, 2007

Day 23: Cabinets are on order!

What a week. I stopped into Kitchen Craft (Cloverdale) one day this week as it is within walking distance of work. We went over my measurements and she walked me to a kitchen about the same size as mine and said this one is $12,000...so yours (with no real wood cabinets) would be $9000! Yikes, that is so far off my budget ($5000) and it is pretty hard to shave off $4000 so I should have told her to forget about preparing a quote.

Feeling thoroughly discouraged (even though I knew Harbour City Kitchens would be less), I went to Home Depot to get some quotes. The Mills Pride cabinets came is strange sizes and there was really no way to make it work. They obviously don't have their target audience figured out as they had no matching bridge cabinets for over the sink (we aren't all that lucky to have a window over the sink) nor a similar piece for over an apartment sized stove (I have a full size stove, but most people buying those cabinets are probably trying to finish off a suite). So I talked to Dale in the design center. Right off the bat, two suppliers were taken off the list due to unreliability. I was left with Kitchen Craft and Thomasville. The door I chose started at $219/linear foot, so a 10x10 kitchen (slightly bigger than mine) would start at $4000+. Not bad. But when you add drawers and upgrade the drawer slides, it was going to come to between $5000 and $6000. Still pretty pricey given counter tops and installation wasn't included.

Today I was finally able to get out to Harbour City Kitchens on a day they were open (they close at 5 most days and were closed last holiday weekend). Alas, there was nothing in Cash and Carry, and no done up kitchens just waiting to be sold for a good price. I found out that cash and carry units are the same price as ordering but you pay both taxes. If you order and have them install, then you only pay the GST. I thought maybe there would be an advantage to getting at least the cash and carry sizes (thinking they were cheaper) so tried to use as many of those in my design. Next came choosing a door style. The cheapest was plain white LP laminate (which look like the storage units you can buy at Zellers. Next was a PVC coated door with the fancy "raised panel" on the inside...you've seen them -- "white melamine" cabinets that were big 14 years ago. Next in line was a LP laminate with curved/rounded vertical edges. They come in lots of colours. The shaker LP Laminate I was thinking of looked OK when done up but was susceptible to moisture since there are seams where water can get in. And I was getting tired of the idea of painting all those doors. After much thought, I decided to go with a Millwork Cherry rolled edge styled door. Kind of modern, but the same colour as my bathroom (which are maple, not cherry as I had thought). With slightly more traditional drawer pulls and the rest of my stuff, it won't look uber modern. Plus the wood will tie in with all the wood I have in my living room. I'm a bit nervous as I can't exactly picture it in my mind, and it means I may not be able to do a beadboard back splash, but that goes in at the end so I can see how it looks when all done. I've also got to ensure my walls are super smooth since I may not be able to finish with beadboard. So much for all that craftsmanship I was trying to go for.

They come to do a final measurement on Friday the 28th (my first flex day) and will probably be ready to install late November. Such a long time away, but plenty of time to get my walls ready and flooring selected. I've pretty much decided to go with lino, especially now that my cupboards are "wood".

The moment you were waiting for...$4000+ for cabinets, countertops (same as bathroom but not as pink as pic shows it to be), INSTALLED Professionally! Beat that Kitchen Craft! It was going to be cheaper, but I decided to get as many drawers as possible and a microwave shelf.

Gotta run, I hear the Brick guys outside getting my dishwasher off the truck. I think I bought it a little too early!

No comments: