Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Day 27: Blowing the Budget

Within a few hours of making the decision to go with the fake wood cabinets I began to have doubts. The cabinet doors would be quite modern, no matter what accessories I brought in, and I know I would have regrets about not going with the style I initially had in mind.

So I called HCK back and got an estimate for the Landcaster door in white. Not only is the door style my top pic, but it is light and will make my kitchen seem brighter and more open. The upgrade will be about $1000. I've chosen to look at it like this -- got the cabinets I wanted at an affordable price and splurged on installation fees!

The guy comes to measure in a few weeks (on my first flex day) so I will know shortly thereafter exactly what the price will be.

While bouncing ideas off people, the idea of a glass mosaic tile backsplash in a nice watery colour was brought up. It would be beautiful, and I only have 34 square feet to tile, but at $18/square foot, that is a buttload of money. And then I would have to do something really high end on the floor, so I think I will stick with either a basic tile (with neat accent tiles) or beadboard which I might paint the wall colour so it doesn't look so bland.

I've purchased new knobs, but they are a little common, even if they do match my bathroom knobs. I think I will go with a black version of that knob and a matching (black) large pull like you see on old desks.

Well, gotta run.

No comments: