Saturday, June 9, 2007

Workin for the Guv - Part Two

I've been in my new position for 3 weeks now and I am settling in quite well. I get to do real work and I am used to the 1 hour lunch and leaving at 4:30 pm. I really like the job and am looking forward to the Business Analyst courses I'll be taking in the winter. It is too early to say, but I may switch from PM to BA.

I have to say, my coworkers are a great bunch. There are lots of stories and lots of laughs. I couldn't ask for anything more. When it comes to training though, there has been a bit of tension. I tend to want to be pointed in the right direction, given a few pointers, and then sent on my way. I feel this is OK since there is a ton of documentation and I have some experience in the field.

I also tend to work pretty quickly. There are a few thinkers in the group who I feel think I am acting rash. On the contrary, I just function better when jumping in and making things happen. So far, no one has tried to cure me by reminding me of the story of the tortoise and the hare. Besides, I know my limits and wouldn't do something permanent without asking for someone to check my work. To demonstrate that fast is not always bad, I have compared myself to a hummingbird. This seems to have worked and has turned into a project to find the "bird" in all of us. Though when I take my time with something, they are quick to wonder what happened to the hummingbird. For those that know me, you are probably placing bets on when I will show up with a bird craft.

No comments: