Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Great Minds Think Alike

Check this out, the Freakonomics blog had the same idea when they heard about the Ten Commandments of driving. I'm particulartly referring to the part about the rosary beads:

Let’s set aside the question of whether reciting the Rosary indeed “does not distract the driver’s attention.”


But, you heard it on my blog first and I didn't even read the whole document that was prepared! Oh, and I have the timestamp to prove it.

I tend to disagree with their idea of the Benedict Effect. The Freakonomics blog questions whether praying will make people feel safer and therefore take more risks. But the gist of the commandments, as I understand them, is to be a better, more christian driver. It doesn't logically follow, at least not to me (and again, I have only read the list, not the full document prepared by the Vatican...I unlike some large groups living in Rome, don't have time to read, let alone write such a document) that people would be more careless while behind the wheel.

cough...smoke and mirrors...cough

No comments: