Saturday, November 10, 2007

Day 85-ish: Renos? What Renos?

I have just returned from Vancouver where I was at the PM/BA World Conference. I stayed in the very swanky Pan Pacific Hotel which was such a treat I forgot all about my renos.

Well, I didn’t completely forget. I closely inspected the marble tile job in the bathroom and was glad I had a whole ¼ inch forgiveness…I mean grout line…to work with. See, marble only needs 1/16 of an inch for grout so your alignment has to be bang on.

The reality of my kitchen sank in as I bade farewell to my posh hotel room with a 21-story view and pristine carpet that has never been scratched by a cat, the super rapid talking elevators with a monogrammed carpet for every day of the week, and the very yummy breakfast biscuits. I would soon be back to the dirty, cluttered, and non-glamorous condo I call home. Back to the toaster breakfasts and microwave dinners. Ho hum.

The conference was really great. I saw a few former ACD’ers (Vince and Meghan) and some Schneider-ites (Charmaine) so got to visit and reminisce. The “Track Sessions” (1-hour long sessions on various topics) were interesting but it was the 2-day BA Crash Course that was the real reason for being there. The facilitator/teacher was great and clearly enjoyed the topic and teaching. When I go back, I won’t bother with the track sessions unless there is a speaker/topic I must see.

I came away from the conference almost completely convinced I will proceed towards the BA stream. I get to get my hands a little dirty and use both my PM and QA background. In fact, my QA background is going to be quite useful even if I have yet to get any formal training in QA.

The highlight of the trip might have been the fact that David Beckham was staying in the hotel but I honestly couldn’t pick him out of a lineup. His presence sparked a modest gathering of loud people outside the hotel which woke me up. But the real highlight of the trip really was the crash course, but I won’t lie when I say I also enjoyed the shopping. I ventured out Wednesday night to Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, and IKEA. I would have liked to go to Tiffany’s and the craft fair at the conference center but I didn’t want to risk being stuck on the mainland Thursday night.

When I got home at 11:30, I was thoroughly exhausted and glad I made it home without falling asleep at the wheel. I fed the cats and climbed into bed. Evin was either very rested or glad to see me (or both) because he ran around on the bed like a village idiot. It was nice to get such a warm welcome.

No comments: