Wednesday, May 2, 2007

It isn't like I dropped an anvil on her face

My cats beg to be fed snacks about 800 times a day. I usually give them 5-10 kernels of their regular food. As you can imagine, I lose count at about 347. I give in because if I don't, Evin will run to the bowl every time I get up to walk. Most times, the bowl is nowhere near where I am headed so I trip over him as he dashes right in front of me.

I keep most of the food in a large Iams tin, but I have a 1/2 cup plastic Rubbermaid container which makes gauging portion size much easier. Plus, I don't have to deal with the stupid noisy tin lid nearly as often.

Last night, on trip 652 to the food dish I was opening the little container full of food when I lost my grip and dropped it. Because Cleo was at my feet looking up in anticipation, it managed to fall on her face.

As you can guess, she ran away. Not only that, she wouldn't come near me. I couldn't believe she would be so quickly and permanently traumatized by this rare event, so I picked up the food container and shook it. Normally, this brings the cats running from wherever they may be. This time, Cleo cowered under the coffee table. Even attempts to lure her back with catnip failed. All the while, Evin couldn't believe his luck at snacks AND catnip! He got two servings of each due to Cleo's new found phobia -- the cat food container.

This morning, I was able to feed Cleo her breakfast from that container, but it was pretty full so not as noisy. As I was preparing to leave, I gave them another snack and sure enough, the sound of the container shaking sent her straight upstairs and under my bed. Evin got another double-dose of snacks.

I think I need to find a new way to store the cat food. But seriously Cleo, get a grip. It isn't like I dropped an anvil on your face.

No comments: