Monday, April 30, 2007

Leaving the ACD nest

Well, I accepted a job with the Government ("the guv") and bade farewell to ACD. My last day at ACD will be May 11th, and my first day at the guv will be May 22nd. That is right, one week off between jobs to rest!

I'll be cutting my contract a bit short, but things have slowed down so it shouldn't be so bad.

I'll miss ACD. I learned a lot here over the past 5+ years. I was given many opportunities, and sought out many more. I went from a little green QA tester to a PM managing our flagship software. I'll be leaving with tons of friends and many fond memories. I hope I will be able to say the same after being in the guv for a few years.

I am still green by PM standards, which is why I have chosen to take a QA/BA position with the guv. I will take a cut in responsibility, but not in pay. This position will give me a chance to learn the government ropes before I get thrown to the 'Project wolves' as a PM.

According to facts like this one:

45% of managers and 35% of bargaining unit employees in the BC Public Service
will be retired by 2015. (buried deep on this site -- http://www.gov.bc.ca/bvprd/bc/home.do)

...I stand a great chance of moving up the ranks before I know it. I was pretty up front about using the QA/BA position as a stepping stone, and my new boss is completely on board and supportive. Besides, it isn't like I will be switching jobs any time soon -- I have a lot to learn, including taking BA courses.

I'll be celebrating my departure by having lunch with Janet (my boss and uber-mentor) and then I'll probably close the week with a night out. One last ACD party (sniff).

Things I'll miss:

  • the people (you know who you are)
  • 24-hour relay (especially the volleyball)
  • my nice green office with a window, fancy chairs, and a door!
  • walking the halls and knowing everyone by name
  • MSN during the day (something tells me taxpayers don't want to pay me to msn friends during work hours)

Things I won't miss:

  • the 17 km drive (I'll be down to 2.5 km's! w00t)
  • the predictable food at The Roost
  • the roadmap (or lack thereof)
  • the people not included in the above 'list'

Things I am looking forward to:

  • 2.5 km drive (not on bus route, and lots of hills, so it will be a while before I bike it)
  • opportunity
  • 9 - 5 baby!
  • Pension (the bennies are about the same, but don't kick in until Nov)

4 comments:

Mikey2 said...

w00t! congrats again..
which list am I on?

Heather MacLeod said...

You are on the first list...even though you don't work at ACD. That is because leaving ACD to work at the guv also means leaving the luxury of MSN'ing from the comfort of my work computer. Sigh. How am I going to pass the time?

Anonymous said...

Product roadmap? What product roadmap??

We'll miss you too, Ms. MacLeod!

Whippet Good said...

I *just* read this. Congrats Heather! I always thought you were a star to work with and I think the government is very, very lucky to snatch you away. Good luck on your first day and beyond!