Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Day 13: Pass the Mud Please

If you ignore the drywall mud that landed on the floor, I have spread 2o kgs of drywall mud on my kitchen and dining room walls! Most of it is in the kitchen where all the crappy texture was. But the dining room wall has its fair share to conceal the bad plaster job the previous owners did when making the openings, and the fact that my drywall installation wasn't perfect.

I don't mind spreading on the mud now that I have figured out a system, and I probably won't try to order cabinets this weekend given it is a long weekend. So, each night, I leisurely spend up to 2 hours spreading mud on the walls. At this rate, the walls should be ready for a first sanding by the weekend. I'd like to get a second sanding done and a primer coat by the end of the weekend! Can you believe it? Probably not because my plans for the kitchen have been pretty schizophrenic.

Speaking of which, I'm back to installing wainscoting. I firmly believe the "craftsmanship" will go a long way to make my kitchen look great. It will go 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the wall...whatever takes me to the bottom of the over-the-stove cabinet which I've determined is the best spot to stop so cupboard doors don't get hindered by the moulding. That means on the other end of the cabinets I need that wine rack cubby hole thingamagig.

I am really looking forward to having a nice looking kitchen. One that not only looks good because everything is hidden behind cabinet doors, or because the walls aren't covered in crap, but because I have things hanging on the walls. I didn't bother hanging some Italian pottery pieces I have because the walls were in such rough shape up until now. And I have a huge wall in my dining room to hang things on too! I had run out of spaces to hang art so I am totally stoked!

No comments: