Monday, August 27, 2007

Day 11: Another Wee Change Of Plans...

I managed to get convinced that a new layer of drywall would be a better option than floor to ceiling wainscoting. This advice came from the realtor that helped me buy the place. He wanted to come by to see what I had done and give me some pointers, even though I had changed my mind about selling. While he liked the wall colours and the work in the bathroom, I got the distinct impression he wasn't a fan of "turn of the century" wainscoting. Normally I believe in maintaining the integrity of a building's design, but this condo is devoid of character and I am not into modern design. Plus, I freshen up the wainscoting look by using simple baseboards and trim, and a light and airy paint job.

Tonight I walked in to measure up for drywall when I decided to give the skim coat technique another try. Instead of using the big huge plaster putter onner, I went with a 3-4 inch putty knife. It was much easier to handle and I could really lay the stuff on thick. I even worked the mud until it was pretty stiff and easy to smooth out. It will take days to dry, but I can boast that I have plaster walls when I am done! Sanding the stuff is going to be a real b*&^% but since I have to do the same prep work to close off the kitchen for sanding, I may as well go all the way.

I still may put up waincoting but only 2/3 or 3/4 of the way up as is the style these days. Or maybe I will do a shaker style panelling which will require I do a good sanding job but will add the architectural detail I am after.

Needless to say, the cupboard ordering is on hold. Not until my walls are paint ready can I accurately measure the space for cupboards. I do know that my kitchen is now several millimeters smaller thanks to all the mud I put on today!

No comments: