Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Space Travel...can it be done?

A question about space travel has plagued me for the last few weeks.

As we know, all that fascinating cosmic stuff we hear about and see in pictures is really a snapshot of what it looked several light years ago, depending on how far away it is.

So, I am thinking a human couldn't actually travel to any of those cosmic things, even at the speed of light, without growing old and dying along the way.

Is that true? Is there any way humans could travel several light years away without dying? Is that where black holes and such come into play? You find black hole x (I'll take door number 3 Chuck) and blammo, you are instantly taken to a cosmic destination several light years away.

The sad thing is, I could have had all this answered a few different times in my life:
- When I was in Astronomy 101
- When I worked at PureEdge and was surrounded by Sci-Fi fans.

The worrisome thing is is that I probably know the answer and Mikey is going to have some smarta$$ reply to my silly musings. I can take it Mikey, bring it on!