Saturday, February 3, 2007

Hitting the books...

Urgent to get a kick butt job, I've taken a more aggressive approach to my chosen profession of Project Management. I'm studying for the PMP exam. Sure, I'll sign up for a prep course, but for now, I am filling my head with knowledge (or reconnecting the neurons to the knowledge I already had stashed in my brain) that I am sure I'll need for an interview.

I've started with a book that I should have picked up 2 years ago...back when I was thrust into the position with very little if any guidance. I can't plead neglect on the part of my coworkers as they had their own dragons to slay, but when they were done with the dragons I have to admit the sudden focus on me and my methods was a little frustrating. I'm just glad I learned to appreciate and highly respect the wisdom, even if it was a little delayed in getting to me.

Back to the book. It mentions the PMBOK (Body of Knowledge) a lot, so it helps to reinforce the things I'll need to know for the exam and my job. And the book is well organized so studying isn't that bad. Besides, I really do like my profession and I can't wait to apply some of the new found knowledge to my next project.

What is funny is that in all these years since my days at Uvic I have not forgotten how to procrastinate. It is great though -- my dishes are done, laundry done, and even a 3 hour nap to boot! I just wish my cats would stop sitting on my books and asking me to take another nap.