Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Day 117: 3 More Sleeps...Oh, and I'm a Genius

I am down to 3 sleeps before the cabinets go in. I am quite excited. I don't expect they'll finish in one day, but one can hope.

In the meantime, I have been painting a set of bifold doors for my front hall closet. Since moving in, none of my closets have had doors, so this is VERY exciting. I've painted the pair white to match the trim I just installed, but I am wondering if painting them the wall colour would have been a better option.

Sure, the bifold doors are just the compressed paper flavour, but I came up with an ingenious modification to the door which will alleviate most of the hassles you get with paper bifold doors. Namely, the slider rail thingy and corresponding pins as well as where to mount the knob/handle so it will open the door with the least amount of wear and tear on the hollow paper carcass of a crappy door...to mention a few.

I came up with the idea while I was measuring for the holes for the bottom bracket. This piece and the top rail plus pins at the top and bottom of one side of the door act as stationary pivot points for the door. So, I had one half of the door temporarily in place when I noticed how well the door swung. It was as if the door was floating it was so smooth. So, I decided to do away with the hinges and the slider piece altogether and just hang the other half of the bifold door the same way on the opposite side of the opening. In other words, the doors will hang freely and independently like a pair of french doors. The pins are still in place, but because I am not using the slider piece or the hinges, I don't expect the part of the door where the pins go in to sustain much wear and tear.



As I was typing that up, I realized the bottom bracket doesn't actually mount to the floor. It has holes in the side that meets the wall thus allowing you to affix it to the wall. This means I DON'T have to drill holes in the slate floor! Sweet.

And, in case you were able to follow me and are wondering how I will prevent the doors from swinging into the closet, I am going to mount a piece of wood along the top to prevent that from happening.

Further modifications may happen. For instance, the rail at the top is currently in place because it holds the piece that the top pin goes into. I could get a "floor bracket" and mount it up top instead of the rail. I'll mull it over but I've pretty much convinced myself that is what I need to do. Stay tuned for pics tomorrow night!

2 comments:

Mikey said...

I have no idea what you're talking about but it sounds complicated.. What prevents the doors from drifting open?

Heather MacLeod said...

Mikey Mikey Mikey...it is actually not complicated at all. You'll see when I get it finished. I plan to use a magnetic catch so the doors won't drift open adn so you know who won't be able to get in there.