Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Day 62: The Tile Arriveth

I checked my messages before leaving work and to my delight the tile store left a message saying my tile was in. Woo hoo! That put a spring in my step.

I picked up the tile but could only manage half the batch. I didn't want to see if my car could handle the full weight, but I might have been too cautious. No matter, I'll get the next batch tomorrow.

The woman at the store (Dacora Tile) remembered me even though I didn't actually deal with her when buying the tile. She was super friendly so I'll go back there again any time.

I took a detour past my folks place so I could pick up the dolly. They thought the tile was lovely and seemed impressed that I was going ahead with the installation myself.

I struggled a bit with the dolly and needed a break after bringing in the first three boxes. I got side tracked by my friends basement reno blog and only just finished bringing in the last 2.5 boxes.

I immediately laid the tiles out in the front foyer and here is how they look.



You can really see the pink I was talking about, though there is a lot of dark grey in there too. In fact, the tile is more grey than pink. Stupid camera. I'm a bit concerned about how porous the slate is. There are many "bubbles" and I just peeled of a good size chunk of slate leaving a "crater" where it was. Sure, that adds to beauty and it isn't really a surprise. It just means I have to inspect all my tiles, remove any loose spots, and place them with the least porous pieces out in the open. I hope there isn't too much waste.

While I wait for time to pass (3.5 weeks) before I start laying the tile, here is what my living room looks like. What a mess.



And here is my "workshop":

No comments: