Saturday, October 13, 2007

Day 58: Not much going on...but I bought the tile

With the kitchen cabinets on order and not due until early Dec, there isn't a whole lot I can do.

I did decide to find/buy/order the tile for the flooring in case it has to be ordered from India or some far off land. I took home a few samples from Tile Town but just wasn't satisfied. I was trying to find a similar tile to what is in the bathroom not only for consistency, but also because I know it works with the countertop.

I decided to see what Gazola Tile had. The choices were overwhelming, but I brought in a large sample of the countertop (the whole that was cut out for bathroom sink) so it made it easier to find the right colours. I found one that was great, and it came in a few different colours so I could do a bit of a checkerboard pattern. Unfortunately, it was over $7 a square foot. I don't need a $1500 kitchen/hall floor. The next choice was a tile they actually had laid down on thier floor in the front entrance way. It was darker than I had planned, but it was a good match. At $5.00 a square foot, the price was coming down.

Still not happy, I decided to go back to Tile Town and wade through the boards. I stumbled upon the brand of tile that my bathroom tile was made by so I thought maybe I could get the same one. The guy led me to believe it could be ordered but I had to come back after the long weekend. I did and he was wrong, so back to the drawing board.

Yesterday was a flex day, so I went in to Dacora tile. We checked out the slate and prices were $5.00 and up a square foot. So, we started looking through the slate boards and found one with a lot of redish pink in it. It is a stunning tile and it really complemented my countertop. And it would match my living room furniture which are dark jewel tones. So I ordered it on the spot. I had yet to react so positively to a tile that I knew it was the one. Besides, it was $4.00 a square foot, so a pretty good deal.

I've always loved the look of slate, especially when there is so much variety in colour. I've never seen a slate with so much red/pink in it and despite how it sounds, it is not at all girly. I wish they had some in stock so I could have taken it home with me yesterday. I'll take a pic and post as soon as it comes in.

Fortunately, the tile is in stock and will be here next week. I'll have to use a lot of restraint when it comes to installing it though. Once I rip out the lower cabinets and sink, I will be out of a sink for good, so I don't want to lay the floor too quickly. I also don't want to lay it too late in case it takes a long time to cure. My guess is I'll install it mid Nov.

In the meantime, I guess I could paint the kitchen ceiling, fix the bathroom floor, and put a second coat on the dining room wall. I am pretty curious to see if the tile matches my hallway walls so there may be a condo wide repainting in the works if not.

No comments: